Thursday, February 5, 2015

watercolors...

today...





just a show...and tell.  


I finally bought some Daniel Smith watercolors....after seeing someone's demo on lunar blue  and was wowed by it...




so....my latest palette pretty much is strictly my 5 new watercolors...and whatever I do lately....is really...just using these.  

-duochrome saguaro green 

is like shimmering sand in the desert.  It looks green/gold as it squeezes out into the palette..but, when it goes on the paper...a dazzling gold....beautiful....and grainy...adding cool texture






-purpurite. 

this purple has real crushed up purpurite in it....so it also has a shimmer...and it's beautiful as a low-light...and mixes awesomely with other stuff to make cool shadows...also grainy. 

-lunar blue



lunar blue is like a combination of prussian and black grains...it is beautiful and as the watermarks play and dry...the grains swirl and land where they may. I love it. 






-mayan blue

this blue is more like a prussian blue...it doesn't have any minerals in it and it is a bit flatter...no grain effect here. 



-hematite

this is also a shimmery- grainy watercolor-and adds really great texture.  The pigment is made from crushed hematite and I absolutely love it.  It makes sense to me to use this for my black...I never used black before in my watercolor paintings...but I can get behind using this- as it's just straight up mineral. 







and there you have it....especially for Martin Rice.  






peace...and love...and new watercolors.....







  

1 comment:

  1. Grr . . . frustrated. After writing something here I clicked publish and had to sign in to Google+. Did it and then was brought back here and the comment was gone. Not that it's your fault at all. Now I notice that it's saying my comment will be as Unknown (Google+). If so, this is Martin 😄

    So, thanks for publishing these pictures. The paints look interesting. Although as you say they're not cheap, they're about the same as the Winsor & Newton and the MaimeriBlu that I regularly use. I'm definitely going to get a couple of tubes of the luminescent colors and see what happens.

    Thanks again for the post.

    ReplyDelete